In war, roads and airfields are at a premium. You can't always expect them to be where you need them to be, and often have to make your own. In the Civil War, soldiers cut down trees and layed down the logs to make "corduroy roads." In World War I, trenches and mud dominated the landscape, and the technology was little improved. When the limited breakthroughs in enemy lines happened late in the war, only tracked vehicles like tanks could easily move through the quagmire. For an army to be mobile - and exploit such breakthroughs, a better solution had to be found.
Shortly before WWII, American Engineers were looking for a way to quickly build roads, airfields and dozens of other projects with mass-produced materials that could be quickly brought to the front and assembled. In short, they were looking for the "legos" of infrastructure.
The solution they came to was Marston Mats - sheets of interlocking pierced steel planking that could be pieced together quickly. They could provide all-weather traction over mud in the South Pacific, Tundra in the Aleutian Islands, volcanic ash on Iwo Jima and Sand on Normandy. And once a flat base had been bulldozed by Army Engineers or Seabees, they could be laid down as the foundation of a temporary airfield.
To give you an idea how it worked, here is a photo from a museum in Normandy. The planks aren't all inter-linked, but the museum did that to show how they worked.

One of the most ingenious features of the matting is that after the U.S. military moved on to the next road, the next airbase or whatever, the planks could be disassembled and recycled. Many times they were, but as the war went on, we seized rail lines and airfields and other traditional infrastructure, and the matting faded in importance.
After the war, of course, there were millions of tons of marston matting lying all over Europe and the Pacific. Most of it was abandoned. The U.S. Military only needed so much. Some of it remained part of the infrastructure. If you fly to the South Pacific today to scuba dive, it's likely that the airfield you land at is the old U.S. airfield, perhaps with a layer of asphalt thrown over the still-existing marston matting.
The matting, of course, has an infinite variety of uses, and what the U.S. military left behind, the locals still used. Here, for example, is some matting that I saw in a park in Nancy, France. It was piled up next to the public restroom and had evidently been pulled up recently - and was probably being recycled for a new use.As you notice, the stuff has hardly corroded at all, even after over 60 years in the dirt. That's because of the unique mixture of steel and maganese.
This was likely used for a base for the walkways in the park, perhaps with gravel thrown over it.
Marsten matting is visible all over France, and I also discovered this wonderful example in Bayeux. The first city in France that was liberated, Bayeux was captured virtually intact, with no bombing or major damage - avoiding the fate of so many cities in Normandy and France. Bayeux is located just inland and virtually in the middle of the five invasion beaches that the allies used on Normandy. So it was one of the first cities to see the massive influx of personnel, weapons and supplies that followed after the invasion.
It was also inundated with Marston Matting. Naturally, the Americans didn't recover it all, and much was left behind. Here is what one enterprising Frenchman did with some he found. Not sure if this is to create a cool screened porch along the waterfront or a security fence. Either way, it's a fascinating relic - a footprint in time - of the U.S. military presence in Europe in WWII.


Next time, I'll introduce you to some relics of war that are even more impressive. What happens when you have to pour millions of men, weapons and equipment into a foreign shore in a very short time and the enemy controls or destroys all the available ports?
Easy. You bring your own port with you. More next time.
7 comments:
Wow! What an interesting post. I didn't know anything about Marston mats until I read this. Would the mats have been useful in Iraq, or was the infrastructure (what there was of it) sufficient for US military needs? Re Iraq, I've read the dust in the summer is horrific (baby-powder consistency) and the mud in the winter equally bad (glue).
I found you thru a mention in the comments over at Rachel Lucas' blog.
Our engineers have stuff that does essentially the same thing nowadays.
Yes, you're right about the dust. In some areas, it is exactly like baby powder. It goes beyond getting gritty sand in your teeth, you get sand everywhere and can't really even feel it, you just know you're dirty. Can't really explain better.
I'm guessing, jj, that you found this blog from one of my posts at Rachel's.
James is my brother.
From the bottom of my heart...thank you. I will keep you in my prayers till you return safely home again.
Thanks so much for your blog about Aggie Muster in Irag. I am an Aggie Mom from San Antonio, TX and have never been more proud to be one after reading your heartfelt and sentimental description of events in Irag. Young man, you and all those around you, be safe, stay strong and know that we in Texas applaud and support all your efforts. May God keep you safe and get you home soon. Warmest regard,Sheryl Stanton
Bill Stanton '75
Caitlin Stanton '10
I was looking for pictures of steel mats when I stumbled upon your site. My grandfather was able to get a few of these [long after WWII] and used them as fences. The base of the fence was a low concrete wall; two mats were used to create one panel of the fence. Each section was connected with concrete posts. They were beautiful! TFS. May you always be blessed and safe.
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Marston Mat (also known as Pierced Steel Planking- PSP) that you observed in France. I also saw a fair amount of PSP in Alaska, and in Panama (Canal Zone) where I grew up. I found your post while looking for information on how to provide a good foundation for PSP, as I have obtained enough to pave my driveway with it. I have also discovered that PSP is very corrosion resistant (high manganese content), and hard to cut with hand tools (don't try cutting it with a hack saw- miserable experience). I suspect PSP will be one of the most lasting WW2 relics commonly seen worldwide due to its durability and utility- amazing stuff. I'm hoping that one benefit of having a PSP driveway here in Austin, Texas will be the opportunity to meet other military history buffs who stop and inquire after seeing it-
Post a Comment